Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Haven (Season 1 - Episode 11) Star Trek TNG

Commander's logs supplemental - Earth Date May 19...Year 2009.

As always I like to include the super campy trailers from STNG for you so that you can refresh your memory about the episode I'm blogging about!



I like this episode well enough. It's the first time we meet Deanna's crazy and outrageous mother Lwaxana Troi, and this episode challenges the practice arranged marriage.

I do like that there's a split between the crew's view of this marriage union. Some of the crew think it's barbaric and strange - others accept it because they want to be understanding and tolerant of other cultures and races. Strange dichotomy, because to me both seem correct or acceptable. On the one hand, who are we to say what's acceptable for another culture - on the other hand it does seem like a practice that doesn't allow people to come together naturally. All that being said...living in America (home of 'free love' and 'love-based-unions') we have the highest divorce rate in the world! - Food for thought?

Furthermore I think it's interesting that it's a Human/Betazoid arranged marriage. Because that makes me wonder if in the Star Trek universe there are still groups of Humans that do practice this. Maybe the human's agreed because they were joyful about the union with the Betazoid family! Who knows.


Links
Wikipedia summary of the episode!
Lt. Commander Crombs Blog
My TrekSpace Page
My Band
My Business

For those not reading off of blogger - check out the original blog entry at http://mospacecamp.blogspot.com and please comment on the blogs my friends. I get random emails from people..but I'd much rather you comment on blogger!

No comments:

Post a Comment