Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Big Goodbye? Or the BIG HELLO?

The Big Goodbye (Season 1 - Episode 12) Star Trek TNG

It's true friends. I know that I totally lied way back in September when I said I was going to start blogging about TNG again! I lied, but I didn't intend on being dishonest - I just got distracted by a soul sucking job, an amazing trip to kansas, shiny things at NASA's Kennedy Space Center, releasing 2 full length debut CDs with my band, and A Night of Sight & sound with Saul Williams...could you blame me?

So here I am friends, back at the grind and I hope you LOVE EVERY MOMENT OF IT! Because I know I will! I have been looking forward to this post for a while! So as tradition goes, I've included the original trailer for "The Big Goodbye" below. And as always, feel free to click on any words/phrases that I have hyperlinked (like this word) to learn more about whatever the hell I happen to be babbling about!

--

--

FIRST OF ALL...OH MY! I forgot how fit the whole cast is and how tight the first season's uniforms are! But more importantly, I think this is the first episode that really explores 20th century literature and culture as a means of exploring the neuance of several of the TNG characters. This episode, of course, is all about Picard's love Dixon Hill. This may not be the first holodeck episode but I do think this is the first time that they explore the imperfections of the replicated/materialized realities/objects that can be created in this universe. This is something that I appreciate. I think that it would be very difficult to suspend my belief if it weren't for the fact that the "future" is imperfect! Ultimately I appreciate the overarching "We Mean Well" mentality!

I do believe that this is the first episode, since 'The Naked Now' that we get to see Picard's sass! "What's your fee?" she says. He replies "20 dollars a day..." "Agreed" she says & reaches into her purse, "I haven't said yes yet!" he says. So sassy!

There's also a really lovely attention to detail in this episode. If you look closely Dixon Hill's business cards are in a short alcohol glass, a testiment to Dixon's 'less-than-classy' style!

Now outside of the holodeck there are some interesting things going on too. It's totally weird to see Geordi as a mere pilot! Little does he know that he'll soon be the Chief of Engineering. Even more entertaining are those terrible-terrible sweaters they make Wesley wear in the early seasons!

Finest moment of dialog! So punny!
[in holodeck] Cop friend says "When are you coming over for dinner? The kids would love to see you and I know how much you love Sharon's cooking" Picard/Dixon says "I would love to but I've got duties to attend to" Friend asks, "Oh yeah, blonde or brunette" Picard/Dixon proclaims "She's a lady alright, and her name is Enterprise!" friend replies, "Sounds like a working girl to me!"

LINKS
this blog in it's original context
my company
my band
my whatever site

No comments:

Post a Comment